Harrison Methodist Church
In 1785, a small group of people gathered to hear a Methodist sermon. That tiny congregation continued to meet and eventually grew into today’s thriving Harrison United Methodist Church. Harrison Church is the oldest Methodist Congregation still in existence in Mecklenburg County.
During its early days in an open-air arbor, circuit riders served the little congregation. Braving the elements to travel their circuits and preach to their far flung flocks, these preachers made it to each church about once a month. The rest of the time this group continued to meet, led by James D. Johnathan and Daniel Mills.
At least 20 years passed before the congregation felt they needed a “meeting house.” They approached Harrison Hood, the owner of the land where they had met for so long. He was so in favor of a church being established in the Pineville community, that he donated building materials and labor, as well as land. Since this became commonly called Harrison’s church, it is likely that this is where Harrison got its name.
A huge revival was held in 1847. In the months following, 340 people joined the church. Shortly thereafter, the original log building burned.
The congregation built a new building, but by 1902, they had outgrown it. In 1903, a beautiful new church building was dedicated. Over the next 70 years, an educational space, a new manse and a fellowship space were added to meet the needs of both the congregation and community.
In 1984, the sanctuary burned again, but God turned tragedy into triumph as a new and larger facility was built in time to meet the needs of a rapidly changing community. In 1999, Hammil Hall, a multi-functional facility, was completed. Building 100 was later added to give us much needed educational, meeting and office space.
Now Harrison Church opens its doors seven days a week to people of all ages and nationalities. We offer many worship services, classes and even food and shelter in order to meet the needs of God’s people. Today’s large and active Harrison surely looks different from the tiny congregation that once met under an arbor. However, important elements remain the same. We still have dedicated volunteers and pastors who, now joined by other staff, all work together to provide a place of worship, growth, and spiritual development for her community and its members.
Update this organization
If you have an organization profile, please log in for quicker processing.