Charlotte Master Chorale
The Charlotte Master Chorale is made up of approximately 130 volunteer singers, many of whom hold graduate degrees in music. Membership is by audition with the Artistic Director and staff.
In 1951, a group of Charlotte singers, under the direction of Earl F. Berg, founded the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte. The founding members envisioned a group that would perform great choral masterpieces, especially large-scale choral-orchestral works. The first concert, held at Myers Park United Methodist Church, was a production of Handel'sJudas Maccabaeus. The performance included 68 singers and was sponsored by the local chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
At the conclusion of the 1992-1993 Season, the Boards of the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte and the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra merged the two organizations. The combined organizations were now able to produce large-scale choral works previously beyond the scope of either individual group.
In the fall of 2015, the name of the chorus changed to Charlotte Symphony Chorus. Then in the fall of 2018, the organization changed its name to the current Charlotte Master Chorale.
Throughout its history, the Charlotte Symphony Chorus has received funding and grant support from numerous national, state, and local organizations, including, Grassroots Arts Program of the NC Arts Council, and the Music Division of the NC Arts Council.
Update this organization
If you have an organization profile, please log in for quicker processing.