Charlotte Symphony Chamber Singers
In 1951, a group of Charlotte singers, under the direction of Earl F. Berg, founded the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte. The founding members envisioned a group that would perform great choral masterpieces, especially large-scale choral-orchestral works. The first concert, held at Myers Park United Methodist Church, was a production of Handel's Judas Maccabaeus. The performance included 68 singers and was sponsored by the local chapter of the American Guild of Organists. Mr. Earl F. Berg served as Music Director until 1960 followed by Mr. Donald Plott from 1961 until 1981. Dr. Mary Nell Saunders served as Music Director from 1981 until 1993, during which time she founded both the Charlotte Youth Oratorio Singers and the Oratorio Chamber Chorus. At the conclusion of the 1992-1993 Season, the Boards of the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte and the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra merged the two organizations. The combined organizations are now able to produce large-scale choral works previously beyond the scope of either individual group. Dr. Hugh F. Floyd served as the first Director in its new capacity as the official chorus of the Charlotte Symphony from 1993-1995. Mr. David Tang served as Director from 1996-2004 and Dr. Scott Allen Jarrett served as Director from 2004-2015. With the opening of the 2015-2016 Season, Dr. Kenney Potter began his tenure as the Music Director. In the fall of 2015, the name of the chorus changed to Charlotte Symphony Chorus. Throughout its history, the Charlotte Symphony Chorus has received funding and grant support from numerous national, state, and local organizations, including, Grassroots Arts Program of the NC Arts Council, and the Music Division of the NC Arts Council.
Update this organization
If you have an organization profile, please log in for quicker processing.